Supporting the local community
News by Subject
Essex-&-Suffolk-Water With thanks to Essex & Suffolk Water for funding support of this website through the Abberton Reservoir Community Fund.

PC Minutes 10th April 2012


Peldon   Great Wigborough   Little Wigborough   Salcott   Virley

Draft minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Peldon Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 10th April 2012.

Present: Jane Banks, John Walker, Nicky Ellis, Phil Gladwin, Lynne Simmons, Netty Knill Jones and 3 members of the public

Apologies for absence: Kevin Bentley, Andrew Ellis, Charles Dymond, Jinny Gale

Minutes of the last meeting were agreed by all and signed by the vice chairman with the alteration at 6. Broadband update to say ‘It was agreed by all to give Phil a mandate to vote for this at the meeting and John Walker to represent us’ in our bid……..

Borough Councillors: Simon High, from CBC Street and Leisure Services, is making good progress with organizing ditch clearance in Great Wigborough and hopefully will pursue residents in Salcott for similar work to be carried out in order to assist with potential flooding issues.

Public-Have Your Say: None

Declarations of Interest: None

1. Police – no reports of crimes to our knowledge.

2. Gold Edition Magazine – cost will be the same as last year, John will organize the cover as before and as usual it will be delivered to all the houses in our five villages by various willing volunteers. This edition will include the Chairman’s and the year’s financial reports.

3. Playgrounds and fields – any outstanding work in the playgrounds will be carried out shortly.  Volunteers will be asked to assist in collecting the old bark from Salcott play area and take to Peldon. Following that the rubber clipping can be arranged for Salcott.  Volunteers will also be sort to help clear the ditch on Moss Hay, overgrown shrubbery will be cut back in the autumn and the basket ball area assessed for safety, repairs and obtaining a grant. There has been dog fouling again on Moss Hay.  This is dangerous to children’s health and very unpleasant for all so please pick up your dog’s mess.  We will report to the dog warden any culprits we hear of.

4. Website update – progress is being made.

5. Abberton Reservoir Expansion, Community Funds & Rights of Way – if all goes to plan the new road will be opened on Saturday. For the time being the old road from Layer Church will be used for access to the Visitor Centre. The water level in the reservoir will take a couple of years to adjust and be established.  Our well presented application for funding has been accepted and funds granted (see Broadband below).  Footpaths have yet to be sorted as that cannot be done until nearing completion of the main works. John offered to be our representative on the Rights of Way Committee when formed.

6. Broadband update – we have received confirmation that funding is available from the 106 Reservoir agreement to create hi-speed internet wireless network in the Winstred 100, the network will include Layer Breton.  This will give our villages internet speed equivalent to the UK’s largest cities and access to ‘urban’ style online facilities including TV, films, video links, free phone calls etc. This gift is a unique opportunity, most rural areas in the UK will not ever in the foreseeable future benefit from this kind of facility.

7. CBC Emergency Planning Meeting – was attended and their main objective is forming lists of appropriate people to be of use in an emergency.  Our updated plan when finished will be sent to CBC for advice and or approval.

8. Flooding matters update – as above in Borough Councillors

9. Standing Orders – Phil proposed, Jane seconded and all agreed for the small change in the wording in our Standing Orders be adopted.  This accommodates for a situation where the chair cannot be found for one reason or another from our usual order of rotation of the villages.

10. Actions and Reminders List – updated

11. Complaint to CBC about the Parish Councillors – It was noted that Mr Bevan has lodged a formal complaint with CBC about all the members of the Parish Council.  The complaint is related to planning issues.  The Parish Council does not believe that there is any substance in the complaint but will, of course, co-operate fully with the relevant authorities who will investigate it.

12. Salcott crossroads bus shelter – many thanks were given to Terry Simmons for doing such a splendid job of modifying this bus shelter to make it more weather-proof for users.  We hope to put a photo of the finished result on the website.

    Planning Applications:

    120507 Proposal: Replacement front garden wall and improved vehicular access to residential area frontage only. Resubmission of 111830 at Beckton House Farm, Barnhall Road, Salcott

    120496 Proposal: Listed building application for extension of eaves storage floor 1.2m and restoration of original interior dividing wall to remove safety hazard. Original and reclaimed material will be used to match existing beams, floor and walls at Priests House, Church, Peldon

    120533 Proposal: Demolition of existing dwelling. Proposed four bedroom dwelling and detached garage at Rolls Farm, Peldon Road, Peldon

    120580 Proposal: Variation of condition 3 of planning permission 102366 to allow for amended ridge height of extension due to design fault on approved scheme at 2 Fourreleet Cottages, Whitehouse Hill, Salcott

    Planning Decisions:

    120170 Proposal: Installation of photovoltaic solar panels on land to rear of farm buildings at Sherwins Farm, Abbots Wick Lane, Great Wigborough – Permission Granted

    120215 Proposal: Retrospective application for a change of use of land from agricultural to domestic garden. Bringing fenced border in line with other properties at land adjacent to Magpies and Hepzibah, Church Road, Peldon – Permission Granted

    120242 Proposal: 1st floor extension to rear over existing g/floor flat roof. Extension to side using same ground floor area with first floor above to existing rear build line. Ground floor extension to front for new entrance hall. Resubmission of 112023 at The Briars, Peldon Road, Peldon – Permission Granted


    101653 – R S Pullen – use of office, heat, light, etc.                                                 £250.00

    101654 – R S Pullen – clerk’s fee for April                                                                £353.53

    101655 – EALC and NALC – annual subs                                                                  £288.79

    101656 – CALC – annual subs                                                                                  £35.00

    101657 – Peldon Village Hall – hire                                                                           £80.00

    101658 – T Simmons – play insp, grass cut, weeding, bus shelter alterations                £725.00

    The next meeting will be held at Salcott Village Hall on Tues 8th May 2012 at 7.30pm and will be the Annual Parish Meeting and AGM