WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL
Peldon Great Wigborough Little Wigborough Salcott Virley
Draft minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Peldon and Wigboroughs Community Hall on Tuesday 14th May 2019 at 7.30pm.
Present: Clare Lauwerys, John Walker, Wendy Ritherdon, Jinny Gail, Phil Gladwin (chair), Robert Kean, Liz Davidson, Robert Davidson, Kevin Bentley and 5 members of the public
Apologies for absence: Dave Taylor, Netty Knill-Jones, Andrew Ellis
The Annual Parish Assembly
Everyone was welcomed to the meeting and no-one chose to speak at this time.
Annual Council Meeting (AGM)
Liz proposed, Jinny seconded and all agreed for Robert Kean to take the Chair for the next two years. Jinny proposed, Phil seconded and all agreed for Wendy to be Vice-Chairman. Phil proposed, Robert seconded and all agreed for the clerk to continue as the Responsible Financial Officer. The Declaration of Acceptance of Office forms were duly signed.
Chairman’s Report: The parish council had dealt with numerous matters during the last year including various complaints, dog fouling issues, planning applications, highways problems and much more. Thanks, were expressed to everyone involved in getting the result for County Broadband to include our villages in the up and coming fibre investment. It was with great sadness that Lynne Simmons had died, she had served on the parish council for many years including chairmanship and was a great champion for Salcott and Virley matters. Thanks, were expressed to the Parish Councillors, Borough and County Councillors, Zone Wardens and the Clerk for their continuing hard work in getting matters resolved as and when they have cropped up. Thanks, were also expressed to Steve Copeland for carrying out the internal audit, Liz for grass cutting, Dave and Jack for playground maintenance and all the Litter Warriors in the villages. A special thank you was also given to the generous anonymous donor for legal fees costs required for completion with the Charities Commission including distributing of the funds from the old Wigs hall to the new Peldon and Wigboroughs Community Hall and to St Stephen’s Church which will be used to enhance the nave to improve its use as a venue for community events.
Financial Report was circulated to all at the meeting. No excessive spending had taken place this year therefore the Parish Council finances are in good order with a reasonable reserve.
Confirmation of membership of EALC, NALC, CALC, SLCC: It was agreed by all to continue membership of these bodies.
Ordinary Council Meeting
Minutes of the last meeting were agreed by all and signed by the chairman
Zone Wardens are able to attend very few of our meetings now as they are required to carry out more duties in the town centre but they are always at hand should we need assistance with any matter.
Borough Councillor Report: Congratulations were expressed to Robert for taking the chair and Wendy for vice. Pat Moore won the seat for Mersea and Pyefleet at the last Borough Councillor election. With CIF’s new format funds could be available for repair work needed for our playgrounds. Peldon’s bus service for evenings and weekends may be lost owing to poor use. The old Lion pub site has been granted planning permission for dwellings and a small shop. CBC Local Plan is still no nearer to completion and the ECC Libraries consultation should soon be decided, volunteers for West Mersea are always welcome.
County Councillor Report: The CIF grants are available for any community organisation. Pavement repairs across the county are taking place. Raised bus curbs are being considered. Item 3 on the agenda was discussed at length.
Public-Have Your Say: A pavement to the new nursery was requested but is not possible due to ownership of the land involved. Enquiries were made about derelict barns and land on Wigborough Road but the parish council has no recent information. Flooding on Mersea Road and next to the Plough were mentioned again. Item 3 speeding in Great Wigborough was discussed later on by all.
Declarations of Interest: Liz for grass cutting on Moss Hay.
- Audit Return and Associated Compliances: Robert proposed, Phil seconded and all agreed for the completion and signing of the Annual Governance Statement, Accounting Statement, Certificate of Exemption 2018/19, noting the internal audit.
- Playgrounds and Playing Fields: Certain repair and maintenance work was identified in the Annual Inspection Report for attention at both playgrounds therefore quotes and materials etc will be acquired and work carried out accordingly. The Community Working Group continue to work on the greens and hedges.
- Speeding in Great Wigborough: Following residents’ complaints, with an on-going petition taking place, speeding measures were requested and discussed at length, with much public participation, for Maldon Road at Great Wigborough where either end is 60mph, as is the normal limit for this category of road, and the complete disregard by many drivers, including council vehicles, for the 30mph when coming to the village and driving through Great Wigborough. Kevin Bentley, ECC Cabinet Member for Infrastructure, explained in detail what the statutory rules are for certain roads and the speed limits etc. He will however, endeavour to address the concerns and consult the Highways Panel Officer to consider possible measures that would help the situation such as advance warning signs, village gates, lengthen the extent of the 30mph limit and request consideration for a 40mph limit for the whole road from Salcott crossroads right through to Peldon.
- County Broadband: To note leaflet delivered to all the dwellings explaining that ultrafast fibre is one step nearer to being installed owing to sufficient pre-ordering from residents in all our villages and thanks were expressed to those who carried out leaflet drops to encourage people to sign up.
- Meeting Venues: A suggestion was discussed for future meetings to be held at the two halls only as Wigborough is now joined up with Peldon but it was agreed that, at least for now, we will keep it as it is and meet at Abbotts Hall Farm in turn as we have been doing.
- Moss Hay: Land registration documents will be looked into and letters sent to householders currently encroaching on Moss Hay land.
- Actions and Reminder List – updated
|190777||Proposal: Garden shed at Fourways Farm, Barnhall Road, Salcott|
|190957||Proposal: To decommission the existing cesspool that serves the existing home office, to install a new pumping station to transfer the foul waste from the home office and converted barn to the existing house drainage at New Hall, Copt Hall Lane, Little Wigborough|
|191005||Proposal: Extension to and conversion of existing garage to create annexe at Beavers Lodge, Lower Road, Peldon|
|190356:||Proposal: Variation of condition 3 (materials) of application 180680: change of tile specification at Wheatlands, Church Road, Peldon – Approve conditional|
|190692||Proposal: Single storey rear extension at The Bungalow, The Street, Salcott – Approve conditional|
|102021||R S Pullen – clerk’s salary – May||£455.14|
|102022||Mr T Newman – play insp. x 4||£120.00|
|102024||Anglia Inspection Services – annual playground inspection||£234.00|
|102025||Tree and Lawn Company Ltd.||£180.00|
The next meeting will be on Tues 11th June 2018 at 7.30pm at Salcott Village Hall