WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL
Peldon Great Wigborough Little Wigborough Salcott Virley
Draft minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Peldon Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 13th April 2010.
Present: Frances Fergus, Jane Banks, Lynne Simmons, Jinny Gale, Phil Gladwin, Sam Knill Jones, Robert Davidson, Kevin Bradshaw, Kevin Bentley, Terry Sutton, Police Officer Mel Wilson and 3 members of the public
Apologies for absence: Nicky Ellis, Andrew Ellis
Minutes of the last meeting: were agreed and signed by the chairman with the correction to ‘brown field sites’ at the end of County Councillor’s section.
Borough Councillors: The meeting to be arranged with ECC Highways, Anglian Water Authority, Borough and Parish Councillors on the matter of Salcott flooding will probably be in July. With regard to ditches and drains etc. who owns what or and is responsible for needs to be clarified.
Temporary pothole repairs are starting to fall out but permanent ones are gradually being done.
Certain areas such as the top end of School Lane need serious attention.
The reservoir expansion is keeping pretty much to plan with a couple of minor hiccups that have been addressed, a footpath in Layer was blocked and works vehicles had driven through Birch, contrary to the Traffic Management Plan.
The latest appeal of the refusal of a planning application for Bellwood is to be heard in the near future.
Two missing road signs near Salcott crossroads will be dealt with.
Terry Sutton, the new Conservative candidate for Pyefleet was introduced to us as Robert Davidson is standing down.
Police Report: 3 crime incidents took place, Farm Watch is in operation and speed checks are taking place in various locations. More training with use of a speed gun will be taking place. Police numbers for reporting crimes or suspicious behaviour 999 for emergencies only, 0300 333 4444 or local police mobile 07966 197404.
The accident that took place in Church Road, Peldon where a car drove into a house and a parked vehicle opposite which may have contributed to this occurrence is being dealt with. The incident of an unsavoury character in a tractor is also being dealt with.
Public – Have Your Say: Butchers View footpath has been driven along, possibly by a 4×4, has made a mess. A lockable post will be fitted at the St Ives Road end to prevent this from happening again. Great Wigborough Church sign has fallen down and will be mended.
Declarations of Interest: Jinny and Phil with item 12.
- Parish Council Elections – there will be an election for Peldon as more people applied than there are places, Virley will be advertised again as there are no candidates, Salcott and the Wigboroughs have one each which is acceptable. We are unhappy that the parish council elections will be held 3 weeks after the general and borough elections from a cost and people turning out to vote point of view, but it is government policy. Jinny thanked Robert, Sam and Kevin who are standing down and expressed our gratitude for their efforts and knowledge, in Robert’s case, for many years. They will be missed by us all.
CBC is considering having Whole Council Elections starting next year which would bring in line all parish and borough elections together that will be carried out every 4 years. We are all in agreement with this.
- CALC – report from meeting to be circulated amongst us.
- Abberton Reservoir and Essex Wildlife Trust – nothing further to add.
- Town and Parish Grant Scheme – we received £2000 towards a new basket ball pad at Peldon. Quotes and further funding will be sort and discussed at the next meeting.
- BTCV – works at Moss Hay has been completed and most of the rubbish taken away.
- Playgrounds – outstanding repairs and maintenance at Peldon will be carried out shortly, the annual inspection will follow. Drainage from the play area to the ditch next to the footpath was suggested and this will be investigated. The Salcott equipment needs painting, the cost of which will be presented in due course.
- Peldon Festival – it is hoped that the playground will be looking smart and the footpath improvements completed, and also that Peldon parish councillors will be in attendance.
- Flooding – forthcoming meeting mentioned earlier. Water Awareness Session to be advertised which will be on Tuesday 27th April 2010 at 7.30pm in Salcott Village Hall
- Life belt for Salcott creek – an additional one has been bought, Phil proposed, Jinny seconded and all agreed to accept Terry’s price for erecting this which will be done soon.
- Salcott bus shelter – ways to improve it for use in bad weather was discussed and a design and costing will be presented which will then have to be agreed by ECC Highways Dept.
- Adoption of Salcott & Wigborough telephone boxes is being carried out with a view to sell the Wigborough box after, which will be advertised for anyone interested.
- Wigborough Village Hall – a meeting is to be arranged to suit all those interested in this matter.
- Strategic Land Acquisition in Peldon – the land in question, that’s known as the ‘triangle’, is not for sale and the parish council does not have money for this kind of project but after consulting our VDS questionnaire replies it may be that we seek help from CBC to acquire some sort of protection order for this land to preserve its natural status.
- Theatre Tickets donated by the Water Board for the Mercury Theatre may be used as prizes for filling in our forthcoming Affordable Housing questionnaire.
- CBC – Colchester’s Annual Spring Clean 19 April-2 May 2010 – Peldon and Salcott have volunteers for litter picking for which we are very grateful. Other areas, such as near the Old Kings Head, need attention and anybody volunteering would be given the appropriate equipment include visibility jacket.
- Annual Report and distribution to be discussed with Bill. Due to the postponed parish council elections this will be a month later than last year.
- Website is up and running with improvements and additions constantly being made.
- Rolling Actions and Reminders List – updated.
100427 Proposal: Demolition of existing single storey garage and extension to chalet bungalow to provide extra bedroom and living space 1 ½ storey extension at Rowans, Peldon
100458 Proposal: Two storey side and rear extension at Leeward, Church Road, Peldon
100503 Proposal: For the erection of a one bay timber framed car port with small log store/shelter to rear of the construction. Timber frame to be open on two sides with one number weatherboard to the side and back delineating the log store. Existing dilapidated post-war garage to be demolished and removed from the site before car port can be constructed at Cobb Cottage, The Street, Salcott
100639 Proposal: Convert loft of detached bungalow by replacing existing trusses in order to create two bedrooms with sanitary accommodation. Addition of front porch, re-position garage doors at Longacre, School Lane, Great Wigborough
091446 Proposal: Repairs and improvements at Moor Farm, Colchester Road, Peldon – Consent Granted
100161 Proposal: Removal of condition 2 of planning permission 072151 at HOS Plant Ltd. St Ives Road, Peldon will be considered by CBC Planning Committee in the Town Hall at 6pm on 15th April 2010.
101533 R S Pullen – clerk’s fees for April £353.53
101534 R S Pullen – office use (heat, light, etc.) £250.00
101535 R S Pullen – clerk’s expenses (paper, ink, postage, etc.) £194.33
101536 EALC – annual subs (including NALC) £267.21
101537 B T Payphones – adoption of Salcott and Wigborough boxes £2.00
101538 BTCV – clearance work at Moss Hay £411.25
101539 T Simmons – 2 x cuts of Salcott meadow and 1 play area insp. £110.00
The next meeting will be held at Salcott Village Hall on Tuesday 11th May 2010 7.30pm