WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL
Peldon Great Wigborough Little Wigborough Salcott Virley
Minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Salcott Village Hall at 7.30pm. on Tuesday 13th May 2008.
The Annual Parish Assembly
Present: Frances Fergus, Jane Banks, Christine Gale, Phil Gladwin, Lynne Simmons, Kevin Bradshaw, Nicky Ellis, Robert Davidson, Kevin Bentley, PC Ian Lewis and five members of the public.
Apologies for absence: Sam Knill Jones, Peter Crowe
Public comments: The notice board at Salcott needs new glass which will be on the agenda for next month for attention.
Neighbourhood Action Panels need more advertising. They usually meet once a month. PC Lewis is the chairman of the Birch and Winstree group and so will address this problem. NAPS can be found on the police website: www.essex.police.uk then Your Area.
The Kings Head junction in Great Wigborough has poor visibility as the hedge and weeds
need trimming back. We will ask the owner of the property there to do this.
Enquiries were made about any progress on our campaign for improvements on the Salcott to Peldon Rose road. It was explained that members of the parish council met with members of ECC Highways Dept. and a full and lengthy programme was shown to us and we have confirmation, just today, that this will take place in this financial year. We have yet to receive a programme of events with regard to this but will make it known to all when we have it. The improvements will include such things as resurfacing, white lines, bend signs, and much more. A speed limit all along is not possible at this time as this is under review county wide but they (ECC Highways) will keep it in mind.
Kevin Bentley has asked for Salcott Street to be included with the resurfacing.
We should all have our clear sacks by the end of this month. If you don’t receive yours please ring Kevin. Abberton Reservoir planning meeting is still to be arranged. Peter Crowe is becoming Mayor for Colchester tomorrow (14th May).
PC Ian Lewis is from Tiptree Police and covers Salcott, Virley and Great Wigborough. Last year there were 3 crimes in Salcott, one of which was taken to court, and one crime in Great Wigborough. Speeding is a problem everywhere and we urged PC Lewis to help us get our training for use of a speed gun.
Parish Council AGM
Phil proposed, Jinny seconded and all agreed for Robert to continue as chairman for the next year. Robert proposed, Phil seconded and all greed for Jinny to continue as vice chairman for the next year. Phil proposed, Robert seconded and all agreed for Sue to be financial and responsible officer for the next year.
Minutes of the last meeting were agreed and signed by the chairman
Chairman’s report was to thank all those that had helped and worked for us during the year. Also the many achievements we have made, meetings attended, training undertaken, liaising with other organisations, planning matters, site meetings for required works, continuing lobbying people for things like road safety, and keeping up to date with requirements for parish councils with regard to the Code of Conduct, Emergency Plan and Standing Orders. Lastly, thanks were given to the small band of the public for attending our meetings on a regular basis and giving a valuable input.
Financial report was proposed by Phil, seconded by Jinny and all agreed to accept as a true and correct record of the parish council’s finances for the last year 07/08 and was signed by the chairman. Many thanks were expressed to Steve Copeland again for carrying out our internal audit (at no charge) which is a requirement before the finances are sent to an external auditor. It was agreed to buy Steve a gift to show our appreciation for his sterling work.
Items for Discussion
- Fire works at Peldon and insurance – we will increase our insurance to cover a bigger number of people coming to this event and hand held fireworks which Sparklers will pay for. Next meeting we will decide if more public liability cover is a good idea depending on the increase of premium.
- Colchester Association of Local Councils – it would appear that certain matters of importance are fed through this body and we are apt to miss things if we are not members. Therefore, Jinny proposed, Nicky seconded and all agreed for us to join. Attendance of the meetings will alternate between us.
- Village Design Statement and/or Parish Plan – the meeting to discuss taking one or other of these further was not well attended. There will be a stall at the Peldon Festival and contact will be made for any interest with other local organisations.
- Communications Committee – has met a couple of times and certain aspects are in discussion. A website is thought likely with the 3 committee members operating this between them.
- Annual Report – we will be doing this in the future to let every household know exactly what we have been doing during the year. Details have to be ironed out as to how we go about this but probably in corporation with the Peldon/Wigboroughs magazine that will have one ‘gold’ issue a year that will go free to every household in our entire parish.
- Levelling of Salcott meadow has yet to be done as the entrance to the meadow is too narrow for the required machinery. Salcott Village Hall Management Committee are keen to widen the gateway and next month we will discuss contributing towards the cost of this.
- Playgrounds Annual Reports completed and our monthly inspection men have a copy of what maintenance is required for each playground and it was agreed that they can carry out the necessary work in due course.
- Local Development Framework Site Allocations – sites are still being gathered or submitted so this is early days yet for discussion and consultation.
- Salcott to Peldon Rose road scheme update was discussed earlier in the meeting, see public comments above.
080886 Proposal: Construction of additional bedroom over existing garage. Cladding of ground floor utility room at Woodlands, Church Road, Peldon
Notice of Planning Decisions:
080409 Proposal: Conservatory at rear at Broad Marsh, The Street, Salcott – Permission Refused
080505 Resubmission of reserved matters application for demolition of bungalow and petrol station and erection of 5no. houses and private garage at Peldon Garage went before CBC Planning Committee on 24th April 08.
080443 Proposal: One and a half storey side extension living room and bedroom at Fourways Farm, Barnhall Road, Salcott – Permission Refused
080505 Proposal: Resubmission of reserved matters application for demolition of bungalow and petrol station and erection of 5no. houses and private garages at Peldon Garage, Lower Road, Peldon – Approve the Reserved Matters
080679 Proposal: Change of use from residential annex to studio, extension of studio at The Annexe, 2 Brick Cottages, Peldon Road, Little Wigborough – Permission Granted
The next meeting will be at Peldon Village Hall on Tuesday 10th June 08 at 7.30pm.