Essex Police & DogLost
Essex Police, in collaboration with DogLost are running a campaign to help reunite dogs with their owners however, preventing their loss in the first place is a better outcome all around and so they also offer the following advice:
- Don’t tie your dog up outside a shop.
- Don’t leave your dog alone in the car.
- Make sure your dog has been micro chipped (from April 2016, your dog MUST be chipped).
- Your dog should always wear a collar and ID tag with your name and address on it. Avoid putting your dogs name on the disc.
- Take clear photographs of your dog from various angles, and update them regularly. Make a note of any distinguishing features.
- Vary your times of walks and routes; some dogs are actually targeted and snatched during walks.
- Fit a bell to your garden gate so you hear if anyone opens it.
- Keep your dog in view in the garden, don’t leave them unsupervised.
If the worst happens and you have a lost or stolen dog:
- Report stolen dogs to the police as soon as possible by calling 101.
- Register your lost or stolen dog free of charge with www.doglost.co.uk or call 0844 800 3220 and access their help page for advice.
- Contact your local dog warden.