Supporting the local community
News by Subject
Essex-&-Suffolk-Water With thanks to Essex & Suffolk Water for funding support of this website through the Abberton Reservoir Community Fund.

grants

Sport Relief Grants

Sport Relief via Essex Community Foundation

Sport Relief Community Cash grant

Apply now for a Sport Relief Community Cash grant

Comic Relief brings Sport Relief Community Cash to North Essex and Suffolk. The Fund is now available, with Essex Community Foundation working with Comic Relief to get the cash to the groups that need it most.

Cash grants of £500 to £1,000 are available to small grassroots community organisations in North Essex (Colchester, north Braintree and Tendring) that are doing great work to help local people living tough lives. It is not only sporting projects or organisations that can apply, but groups across the whole of the community.

Applications for Sport Relief Community Cash need to be submitted by Monday 15th February 2016. Interested groups should click here for the grant criteria and guidance on how to apply.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Grants Team on 01245 356016 or grants@essexcf.org.uk should you have any questions.

Essex Community Foundation are:

an independent charitable trust improving the quality of life of people in our community by investing and distributing funds on behalf of a wide range of donors.  Since 1996 our donors have invested £26 million of charitable funding directly into Essex, Southend and Thurrock making it a great place to live, work, learn and grow.

Further information about the Fund is also available at www.essexcommunityfoundation.org.uk

Share

PC Minutes 12th May 2015

WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL

Peldon   Great Wigborough   Little Wigborough   Salcott   Virley

Draft minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Salcott Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 12th May 2015

Present: Netty Knill-Jones, John Walker, Phil Gladwin, Lynne Simmons, Jinny Gale, Liz Davidson, Bob Holmes, Rob Surface, Robert Davidson, John Jowers, Kevin Bentley, Zone Warden and one member of the public

Apologies for absence: Nicky Ellis, Andrew Ellis 

The Annual Parish Assembly

Zone Warden Report: Dog fouling and litter culprits are constantly being targeted and prosecuted whenever possible and fines of £200 and £370 have been given out recently.

Chairman’s report: Thanks were given to everyone who has served on, worked for or helped the parish council in any way. The new play equipment, for which we obtained grants from Cory Environmental Trust and S106 monies from recently built houses at Peldon, has been installed at Moss Hay and is proving to be a success.  The broadband scheme has been another major part of the achievements during the year and continues to develop further. The parish council has continually reported on and dealt with various matters including highways defects, speeding, flooding issues and numerous planning applications. It has also kept the residents informed on matters of interest or concern and dealt with any queries or problems whenever it has been possible.

Financial Report: There was a very slight overspend this last financial year which will be adjusted this coming year. Several large amounts of money have passed through the books this year with the new play equipment and broadband project. Insurance, playgrounds and grass cutting continue to be a substantial part of our spending.  Thanks will be given to the internal auditor who stepped in at the last minute. See item 2 below and the Annual Return will be on the noticeboards and website for viewing when it has been formally confirmed.

Parish Council AGM

Phil proposed, Jinny seconded and all agreed for Lynne to continue as chairman.

Phil proposed, Lynne seconded and all agreed for Nicky to continue as vice-chairman. Phil proposed, Jinny seconded and all agreed for the clerk to continue as Financial and Responsible Officer.

Phil proposed, Bob seconded and all agreed to co-opt Liz Davidson on to the parish council for Peldon Ward who was duly welcomed by all.

Minutes of the last meeting were agreed by all and signed by the chairman

County Councillor: The Community Initiative Fund (CIF) is running for another year funding worthy projects. Drainage enforcement will take place where necessary. Sometimes it is necessary for road closures, which can be inconvenient but do ensure a better surface repair job is carried out. School transport is being reduced and some existing ones will cost more. The CBC Local Plan is still considering sites for new houses and some villages will probably have to take a few.

Borough Councillors: The new CBC warding boundaries will include Salcott and Virley and the Wigboroughs in Marks Tey and Layer Ward and Peldon will be in Mersea and Pyefleet Ward. The speeding survey strips will be installed at Lower Road, Peldon in due course. Another for Church Road was requested. As suggested we will invite a representative from the Casualty Reduction Team to a forthcoming parish council meeting.  Missing road signage will be chased up. The ECC Superfast Broadband Scheme is going well. The Abberton Reservoir Community Fund is all but allocated and updates on the projects of any unspent money will be requested.

Public-Have Your Say: The missing road signs were requested to be chased up.

Declarations of Interest: Bob and Liz for planning application 150665 for Peldon Village Hall.

1.   Playgrounds and Playing Fields – Liz very kindly offered to use farm machinery to pick up the majority of the rubber which will be taken to Salcott. The remainder spread on the footpath etc will be raked up and disposed of. Works ensuing from the Annual Inspection Report will be addressed shortly. The Community Group will be contacted to request hedge and ditch work 

2.   External Audit Return – Phil proposed, Jinny seconded and all agreed to accept the financial report for the last financial year 2014/15, to accept the Financial Regulations and Risk Assessment, to confirm and agree the Accounting Statements and the Annual Governance Statement was completed and signed as required.

3.   Abberton Reservoir Rights of Way – there are a couple of problematic sections which will continue to be worked on.

4.   Broadband – further residents have signed up for the scheme, there are occasional problems and Salcott will probably be linked up in September.

5.   Actions and Reminder List – updated

Planning Applications:
150665 Proposal: Replacement of existing 50 year old prefabricated hall with a new multi-use community building incorporating solar panels and air source heat pump. Modified design of permission no 110076 granted 26/08/15 Peldon Village Hall
150726 Proposal: Demolition of existing greenhouse and construction of a single storey residential annexe at East Anglian Farm Rides, Moor Farm, Colchester Road, Peldon
150727 Proposal: Listed building application as above
150927 Proposal: Two dormer windows to first floor to improve internal daylight/ventilation bedroom environment at Fourways Farm, Barnhall Road, Salcott
Planning Decisions:
150358 Proposal: Gable to existing roof side elevation to improve feasible loft area enlarging approved bedroom slightly at Fourways Farm, Barnhall Road, Salcott
Approve conditional
146560 Proposal: Replacement window and doors at Sampton Wick, Wigborough Road, Peldon
Approve conditional

Finances:
101829 R S Pullen – clerk’s salary for May£375.65
101830 Anglia Inspection Services Ltd – annual play areas insp.£234.00
101831 Essex Association of Local Councils – annual subs£278.31
101832 R C Laurie – internal audit£ 60.00
101833 T Simmons – play insp, 2 x grass cuts£120.00

The next meeting will be on Tues 9th June 2015 at 7.30pm at Abbotts Hall Farm, Great Wigborough

Owing to the poor service from the Police when a crime has been committed to properties in our villages the Parish Council would advise that first and foremost   report it to the Police on 101 for non-emergencies or 999 for emergency situations but then we would request that you give the details to the clerk on 01206 735367 or susiepullen@btinternet.com for a list to be collated to enable us to  show how much crime is being committed in this area and how little is being done about it by the Police.

Local Community Action Panels (LCAPS) meetings where Police are in attendance are held periodically at West Mersea Town Council Offices in Melrose Road where opinions and problems can be voiced. The meeting dates and times are as follows:

  • 3rd June 2015 at 7pm
  • 5th August 2015 at 10am
  • 7th October 2015 at 7pm
  • 2nd December 2015 at 10am
  • 3rd February 2016 at 7 pm
Share

Hundred grand grant for Village Hall

pvhThe Peldon Village Hall Management Committee were pleased to announce that plans for a new village hall for Peldon took a big step forward in December when they were awarded a grant of £100,000 from the Abberton Reservoir Community Fund towards the project. Following the granting of planning permission in August, this is a significant contribution towards the estimated £600,000 needing to be raised.

As a condition of the grant, the new building will have a lobby area that is open throughout the day, even if the hall is not in use. This area will include toilet facilities, an information area about the reservoir and a vending machine for the convenience of visitors who may wish to park in the hall’s car park before setting off to walk round the easterly side of the enlarged reservoir, once pathways have been created.

Together with the £30,000 already awarded from Essex County Council’s Community Initiatives Fund and £20,000 accumulated from fundraising events in recent years, the committee are now about a quarter of the way towards their target. Three further grant applications have been lodged and more will follow, including a major one to the Big Lottery, about which more will be said in coming months.

In the meantime there are lots of fundraising events coming up you can support to help:

  1. Race Night on 17th March – flyer attached gives all the details (POSTPONED)
  2. 30th June –Soul Concert with the Crissy Lee Band and Grand Auction. Venue – Brickhouse Barn, Lower Road, Peldon. Further details to be announced.
  3. 16th September – Sponsored Walk – details of route, and how to take part and get sponsorship forms to be announced later in the year.
  4. 10th November – Quiz Night in the Village Hall.

To find out more about these, of how to help PVH in general, contact Bob Holmes on 01206 735510.

Share

Peldon Village Hall Update

pvh-new-designsThe Peldon Village Hall Management Committee have recently been awarded a further £15,000 of grant funding towards the new Village Hall project.  To find out more about the hall, the renewal project and to see the designs of the proposed new building (thumbnails on right) check out their webpage on this site.  Also remember to keep your eyes open for fund-raising events listed on our home page event calendar.

Share