Supporting the local community
News by Subject
Essex-&-Suffolk-Water With thanks to Essex & Suffolk Water for funding support of this website through the Abberton Reservoir Community Fund.

peldon

1 2 3 23

Leonardo da Panto

Leonardo da Panto

It’s that time of year!

Hello All, this year the Peldon Panto moves into St Mary’s as the construction of the new hall gets underway.  An amazing challenge for the players this year as we tread boards previously untrodden in a new setting.

Come to see Leonardo da Panto in a truly authentic(ish) renaissance-style backdrop.  Written by Simon Nunan, this panto looks at the Italian renaissance, with beautiful, scheming Borgias, Machiavellian intrigue, and slap-dash artists.

Cheer for the goodies, boo at the baddies, hiss at the interval wine….

We’d love to see you there, tickets are selling out fast.

  • 25th – 27th Jan 7.30pm
  • 28th Jan 2.00pm and 7.30pm

BOX OFFICE contact Mel Newton on: 07738 000378 or m.newton@btinternet.com

Hope to see you all there.
PVHMC and the Peldon Players!

Share

Wigboroughs’ Village Hall AGM 2016

Wigboroughs’ Village Hall AGM 2016

WIGBOROUGHS VILLAGE HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

Annual General Meeting, Tuesday 29th November 2016.

The single resolution put to the residents of Great and Little Wigborough was:

That the site in School Lane should be sold and the net proceeds split equally between two initiatives

  • the enhancement of the nave of Great Wigborough Church to make it more suitable for use as a community venue
  • supporting the re-development of Peldon Village Hall to create a co-owned and shared community centre to be known as the Peldon and Wigboroughs Community Centre.

The resolution was carried by 60 votes in favour and 22 against, the totals including 37 postal votes.

New trustees were elected and the committee now consists of three appointed trustees (Jinny Gale, Phil Gladwin and Sam Norton) and four elected trustees (Steve Copeland, Marion Houlding, John Hutchinson and Melanie Newton).

At a subsequent trustees meeting Jinny was elected as Chairman, Melanie as Secretary and Steve as Treasurer.

The result is binding upon the committee who will now proceed to implement it as quickly as they can.

Jinny Gale

Share

Demolition of Peldon Village Hall

Demolition of Peldon Village Hall

The following update has been received from the Peldon Village Hall Management Committee.

demolition-of-peldon-village-hallA short and somewhat bitter-sweet note to let you all know that the demolition work has commenced. We think it’s safe to say that the roof is leakier now than it’s ever been and that’s saying something. We are unsure how the demolition team will fare as they negotiate the sign near the bucket and string which states ‘do not move’ but we’re pretty sure they’ll cope.

So goodbye, village hall, as you make way for bigger and better things for Peldon and the surrounding villages. Thanks for all of the memories you have given us over the last 50 years, we’ll make sure we do all we can to make sure that the new hall is bustling full of life and bookings.

If you have any questions please direct them back to us via email or the Facebook messaging system.

Thank you all to those who have helped to make getting to this stage possible be that through volunteering your time, donating or helping to raise funds. We still have some gaps to close so please keep backing us (and on that note, Panto tickets go on sale this weekend!)

Share

Peldon Village Hall – Contract Awarded

New Peldon VIllage Hall

Coming Soon – Contract Awarded

Peldon Village Hall – Contract Awarded

Stroods Specialist Contractors appointed to rebuild Peldon Village Hall

Peldon Village Hall Management Committee announces that its preferred contractor to build the new village hall in Peldon  is Stroods Specialist Contractors of West Mersea.

Bob Holmes, PVH Treasurer, said:

After an extensive tendering process, Stroods emerged as the clear winners with a proposal that met our budget expectations.  We’re delighted that, after several years spent working on the project, we’ve reached the stage when the building work is about to start and that we’ve been able to appoint a local firm with a good reputation for efficient delivery and strong connections to our village.

Lee Tyler, Director of Stroods, commented:

We’re very pleased to have been selected to carry out this project to replace a critical community asset with an exciting new building that will be of great benefit to the residents of Peldon and the surrounding area for many years to come.  We’re looking forward to working with the Management Committee in the coming months.

The Management Committee expects work to start on site in November with the new hall completed by the summer of 2017.

Funding the project

The total project cost, including professional fees, will be around £500,000.  The majority of the costs are coming from grants awarded by:

  • Essex County Council’s Community Initiative Fund,
  • the Abberton Reservoir Community Fund, and
  • Colchester Borough Council’s Big Choice Fund.

The remaining funds are coming from money raised by the Village Hall’s many fundraising activities over the last 6 years, including its recent Buy-a-Brick appeal which remains open, and from commitments from residents to lend the hall any final remaining funds by investing in PVH Bonds.

The Management Committee would like to express their sincere thanks to the grant funders and to all residents whose support over the years has made the project possible.

Crissy Lee

Crissy Lee

Farewell Party – October 30th

But, before demolition, there will be one last event in the hall, a farewell party on October 30th from 5.00pm to 9.00pm.  The entertainment will be provided by the Crissy Lee All Stars featuring Paul Wood.  Paul is the singer with the Glen Miller Orchestra; his repertoire includes Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davies Jr and Michael Buble among many others.  As well as a licensed bar there will be teas, coffees, snacks and cakes for sale.

With limited numbers you should book early, tickets are £8.00 each.  To book them contact Bob Holmes on 01206 735510 or bobhomes7@btopenworld.com.

Bob Holmes
Peldon Village Hall Management Committee

Share

PC Minutes 14th June 2016

WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL

Peldon   Great Wigborough   Little Wigborough   Salcott   Virley

Draft minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Salcott Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 14th June 2016

Present: Netty Knill-Jones, Lynne Simmons, John Walker, Phil Gladwin (chair), Nicky Ellis, Jinny Gale, Bob Holmes, Liz Davidson, Andrew Ellis and 2 members of the public

Apologies for absence: Kevin Bentley, Jackie Maclean, Robert Davidson, Zone Warden

Minutes of the last meeting were agreed by all and signed by the chairman

Zone Warden Report: None sent but they had cleared up a fly tipping problem for us

Borough Councillor Report: Certain matters are to be chased up including requesting resurfacing of Mill Road, Virley but in particular the sunken areas either side of the bridge, Continue reading

Share

PC Agenda 14th June 2016

WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL

Peldon   Great Wigborough   Little Wigborough   Salcott   Virley

A meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council will be held at Salcott Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 14th June 2016 to which the Councillors are summons to attend.

Minutes of the last meeting:

Zone Warden Report:

County and Borough Councillor Reports:

Public-Have Your Say:

Declarations of Interest:

Items for Discussion

Continue reading

Share

New Councillor Sought For Peldon

New Parish Councillor Sought for PeldonNew Councillor Sought For Peldon

A new Parish Councillor is needed for Peldon Village

If you would like to attend the next Parish Council Meeting it will be held at Salcott Village Hall, Tuesday 8th March, 7.30pm. The closing dates for applications is 31st March.

The Winstred Hundred Parish Council comprises Peldon, Great and Little Wigborough, Salcott and Virley and requires nine councillors.  Meetings are held 11 times each year alternating between Abbotts Hall Farm, Great Wigborough, Peldon and Salcott Village Halls.  The responsibilities of the Parish Council are integral with CBC and have a strong community aspect.

The Parish Council is the most micro-element of this Country’s democratic process.  Normally Councillors are elected but when a vacancy arises mid term, applicants will be selected by the Council and co-opted onto the committee without an election process.  Councillors come from all walks of life, there are no specific criteria applied to those individuals wishing to be considered.

If you enjoy living in your Village and want to become involved in your community then a place on the Parish Council could be exactly right for you.  For full details please telephone our Secretary Sue Pullen on 01206 735367 or email susiepullen@btinternet.com.

Share

PC Minutes 8th December 2015

WINSTRED HUNDRED PARISH COUNCIL

Peldon   Great Wigborough   Little Wigborough   Salcott   Virley

Website: www.winstred100.org

Draft minutes of the meeting of Winstred Hundred Parish Council held at Salcott Village Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 8th December 2015

Present: Liz Davidson, Jinny Gale, Lynne Simmons, Phil Gladwin, Netty Knill-Jones, Andrew Ellis and one member of the public

Apologies for absence: Bob Holmes, Nicky Ellis, John Walker, Robert Davidson, Kevin Bentley

Minutes of the last meeting were agreed by all and signed by the chairman

Zone Wardens Report: None received

Borough Councillor: Both pot holes and the dipped road either side of the bridge in Mill Lane will be looked into.  All missing road signs will be followed up yet again.

Public-Have Your Say: None

Declarations of Interest: None

Items for Discussion

1.   Neighbourhood Watch:  Having received a small interest the people concerned will be given the information from the representative who attended our meeting to follow up further if they so wish.

2.   Playgrounds and Playing Fields:  The Community Group has carried out some really excellent clearance work on Moss Hay and will be coming again to finish. Peldon Village Hall is needed for these workers and a charge at normal rate will follow.  The footpath is looking much better as a result and refurbishment is thought not be necessary for the time being. Costing for the renewal of Salcott playground fencing is still being investigated.

3.   Salcott Flooding:  Following much correspondence and a meeting with the Environment Agency they have effectively said there is no problem.  Clearing the creek is the responsibility of neighbouring landowners who must inform the Environment Agency before carrying out any such works. The Parish Council has written to Colchester Borough Council requesting that they take into account our thoughts and concerns on this matter when constructing the new Local Plan. Having brought this to the attention of all appropriate bodies the Parish Council has explored all avenues on this matter and feels that it is unable to do any more at this time.

4.   Total Transport Project/FutureGov:  The Parish Council had previously organized a shopping bus for residents who do not have their own means of transport but this was not sufficiently used. Fortunately some people are frequently helped out by kind hearted neighbours. A scheme providing tokens for taxis for people unable to get to doctors’ appointments etc. used to be available and will be looked into to see if it or something similar is still on-going.

5.   Bus Timetable Changes/Transportation Meeting Representative:  Although the bus timetable alterations and lack of reasonable notification were considered extremely inconvenient for some people the bus companies can and do change them periodically as they feel fit in order to make connections with other routes. Transportation Meetings will continue to be attended by our representative where concerns can be aired.

6.   Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities:  Requirements for the Transparency Code were discussed and some aspects of this are already in place and others will be addressed shortly including that any correspondence, planning notifications or invoices that arrive after the agenda has been published and displayed will not be included until the following month. Also we are waiting for Essex Association of Local Councils to produce their model template for Data Protection.  

7.   Actions and Reminders List – updated and including that the website has suffered problems that are currently being addressed.

Planning Decisions:

152170 Proposal: Living room and bedroom extension at Fourways Farm, Barnhall Road, Salcott
Refused
152121 Proposal: Outline application for a proposed 3 bedroom dwelling at site adjacent Peartree Cottage, Rose Lane, Salcott – Approve conditional
152149 Proposal: Erection of single dwelling and garage at Green Farm, The Street, Salcott – Approve conditional
152302 Proposal: Variation of Condition 2 of Planning Permission 150866 in order to add drawing nos. 563-4 and 563-5 and omit drawing nos. GHP/HP/15/01 and GHP/HP/15/02 at Hosplant Ltd. Unit 1 – Approve conditional

Finances:

101855 Business Services at CAS Ltd. – Insurance £1,102.31
101856 R S Pullen – December salary £375.65
101857 Society of Local Council Clerks – annual subs £69.87
101858 Peldon PCC – mag entries £250.00
101859 Tollesbury PCC – mag entries £70.00
101860 Mr B Gooding – play insp £30.00
101861 T Simmons – play insp £30.00
101862 R Davidson & Son – Moss Hay grass cuts x 8 £432.00

The next meeting will be on Tues 12th January 2016 at 7.30pm at Abbotts Hall Farm, Great Wigborough

Share
1 2 3 23